Help out in the community while improving your Spanish!
Intermediate (B1) and above.
Summer volunteer abroad programs for college students in Cadiz, Spain
Can you think of anything more satisfying that knowing your hard work is having real, tangible benefits in your local community? The obvious answer is expanding the reach of your charitable work to the global community. But in such a complex world, how can one person simply cross borders and participate in a well-designed volunteer program that actively improves the lives of the less fortunate?
Centro MundoLengua’s summer volunteer abroad program for college and university students does exactly this. Our volunteer abroad programs have been connecting international college and university students to local non-profit organizations and charities since 2005, and we are proud to be a small part in a system that allows international students to engage in altruistic work to improve the lives of the less privileged here in Cadiz.
Participants are fully immersed in Spanish society during the program. While continuing to develop their Spanish skills and experiencing modern Spain as seen by the Spanish, college students in our summer volunteer abroad program enjoy an enriching experience that connects them with locals in a positive way. Students often finish the program with a fresh view of the modern world, and ultimately we often discover that our customizable program is life-changing not only for the beneficiaries, but also for students themselves.
Trace the 3,000 year old footsteps of Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, Visigoths, Moors in the local culture and architecture.
Make a real difference in the wider world by directly contributing to the wellbeing of the less privileged in a foreign country.
If possible, structure your time the way you want to – either dedicating your mornings, afternoons or the full working day to your volunteer cause.
Get the ultimate summer abroad experience in one of the most liveable cities in all of Spain.
Immerse yourself fully in contemporary Spanish society in order to continue sharpening your language skills.
And don’t stress! With Centro MundoLengua, you have round the clock assistance and support for every eventuality.
Calling all history-geeks, beach lovers, foodies and photographers; if Cadiz wasn’t originally on your “to visit” list, change that right now. Simultaneously modern and ancient, lively and tranquil, mainland and island, Phoenician, Roman, Gothic, Moorish and Catholic, Cadiz is a city that constantly has something new to offer. Located at the very south of the Iberian Peninsula and facing the oceans, it is a dream for fans of the sun and the sea. With over 300 days of sunshine per year and some serious surf available, the quality of life in Cadiz is one of the highest in Spain. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why people have been living here for so long; Cadiz is the oldest continuously-inhabited settlement in the whole of Europe. Each of its previous inhabitants have left their imprint on both the local culture and the sublime architecture. And because many of Spain’s explorers set sail for the Americas from Cadiz, the city has played a huge role in the human history of not just Spain, but the entire world.
The giant domes of pristine white and shining gold and towering bell tower of Cadiz’s most famous landmark can be seen from miles around. The Cathedral of Cadiz after all was built to be the first sight that greets any visitor travelling by sea or by land. The intricate Baroque design becomes apparent the closer you get, and the stunning facade is a view that never gets dull.
Standing at 45 meters tall, anybody at the top of the Torre Tavira enjoys some of the best views of the city and surrounding waters. This is of course intentional; the tower was built in the 18th century to keep lookout for danger approaching the city, but now its revolving viewing binoculars give visitors amazing views of Cadiz.
Castle of Santa Catalina
The castle was originally built as a fortress that stuck out into the sea in the 17th century to help the citizens of Cadiz resist the attack from the British and Dutch navies. Nowadays the pentagonal structure is used for events, and houses one of the city’s finest art galleries.
The Port of Santa Maria
This small but historic port located on the mouth of the Guadalete River forms the most southern point on what is known as the “Sherry Triangle”. And a day trip to El Puerto de Santa Maria is always worth it, thanks to the San Marcos Castle, the bullring, the Victory Monastery and the church of Mayor Prioral, just to name a few attractions.
And that’s not all! Cadiz seems to have an ability to surprise with new landmarks and attractions hidden away, no matter how long you have spent here, such as Roman ruins, elegant palaces, vibrant museums, proud monuments and more fortifications, castles and cathedrals than you ever thought possible.
- Intermediate level of Spanish (B1 minimum)
Social & cultural activities
- College students volunteering abroad in our program understandably want to make the most of their time by participating in as many enriching activities as possible. Centro MundoLengua therefore organizes an activity program for volunteers so that they can get the most out of their experience without doing the tiring part of researching and organizing. Two activities are included each week.
- Cultural activities might include flamenco shows, salsa classes and Sevillanas dancing workshops, Spanish cooking classes and paella workshops and visits to some of the city’s most cultural and historically significant sites and landmarks.
- Recreational and social activities that give students a chance to relax and socialize outside of their volunteer work can include surf lessons and beach sports, bicycle tours and perhaps evening an evening yoga session right there on the beach!
- Since 2005 Centro MundoLengua has been working in the local community, meaning that we have developed strong bonds with a wide variety of local non-governmental organizations and charities across many different sectors. These include charities that benefit children, the environment, immigrants in Spain, the elderly, individuals with a registered physical or mental disability and those with little resources available to them, financial or otherwise.
- College students in our volunteer abroad programs in Spain can therefore choose the volunteer activity that suits them the most from our local partner organizations.
- Students can also customize their daily structure the way they want to, either participating in volunteer work in the morning, in the afternoons or for the whole working day, while spending their free time however they like (subject to availability).
- Broaden the reach of your charity work and volunteer activities to a wider audience by engaging directly in selfless work that directly benefits the lives of under privileged individuals in another country.
- Network and create lifelong friendships with the locals of Cadiz that you interact and work with on a day to day basis.
- Develop further as an individual by discovering just how independent and resourceful you are by living in a foreign country.
Language & culture immersion
- A chance to live together with a local Spanish-speaking host family for the duration of the program and experience the everyday Spanish life.
- Full language immersion in modern Spain in which you can continue to practice and develop your language skills both during your volunteer work and in your free time.
- There is also the option to add private Spanish classes to your volunteer abroad program, if you feel like you want to brush up on your Spanish a little more.
Dates and Fees
Pre-departure consultation and advice.
Airport reception with a representative from Centro MundoLengua and transfer to and from Jerez de la Frontera airport.
Initial orientation in Cadiz.
Wide range of volunteer missions and non-profit organizations that you can choose to work with.
Accommodation and full board with a homestay family.
Program of social, cultural and recreational activities (2 per week).
Request information about this program
You may also like…
- From 7,840.00€
- From 7,840.00€