Get a head start on AP® Spanish
June 19th, 2022 - July 2nd, 2022
Pre-AP® and AP® Spanish students
Pre-AP® Spanish Language Program in Sevilla, Spain
Picture yourself spending your next summer in one of the most beautiful, historic, and culturally vibrant cities in Europe. You’re living in the 2,200-year-old capital of southern Spain, where a single walk will take you past the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, a scenic river, elegant palaces, ornate churches, gorgeous gardens, and cobblestone streets lined with outdoor restaurants, local shops, and charming old buildings clad with wrought-iron balconies.
Now picture this: you’re making friends, having fun, and discovering the best of Spain through guided tours, flamenco lessons, tapas nights, kayak adventures, excursions to other cities, and more! And at the same time, you’re enjoying all of the comforts of home, living in a safe and friendly environment, leveling up your Pre-AP® Spanish skills and getting ready to score a 5 on the AP® Spanish course, and taking your language skills to the next level through natural language immersion and engaging, interactive classes.
Well, you don’t have to just picture it. Our Pre-AP® Spanish program in Sevilla offers high school students all of the above and more!
Boost your Spanish and deepen your knowledge of Spanish culture by studying abroad in the 2,200-year-old city of Sevilla.
Explore historic sites and learn about Spanish culture via organized tours, activities and excursions.
Enjoy your time in Spain via kayaking, bike riding, tapas nights, concerts, dances, sports games and other social activities.
Fully immerse yourself in the Spanish language and culture by living with a friendly, carefully-selected Spanish host family—delicious, home-cooked Spanish meals included!
Level up your Pre-AP® Spanish skills and prepare to excel on the AP® Spanish course through natural immersion and fun, interactive classes that cover all of the course’s main themes.
Feel safe and secure with 24/7 adult support and supervision from our experienced staff and host families.
In Sevilla, you’ll be living in the gorgeous, vibrant, and sun-drenched capital of Andalusia, the southern region of Spain. With 2,200 years of multicultural history, three UNESCO World Heritage Sites, ten palaces, and numerous attractions, which include both the largest Gothic cathedral and the largest wooden structure in the world, the city is one of the country’s top destinations, and it’s the perfect place to sharpen your Pre-AP® Spanish skills and learn about Spanish culture through first-hand experience. As you walk down its narrow, cobblestone streets, you’ll find a seemingly endless parade of charming old buildings, outdoor restaurants, local shops, elegant fountains, antique street lamps, fragrant orange trees, flower-filled balconies, lively plazas, bustling markets, and tranquil gardens.
The Sevilla Cathedral
Dating back to the 12th century, this magnificent building is the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, the burial site of Christopher Columbus, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Situated right in the heart of Sevilla’s historic city center, it’s just a five-minute walk from Centro MundoLengua’s classrooms. Inside, you’ll find a massive nave (or central hall) that’s lined with 80 side chapels, featuring a variety of artwork, tombs, carvings, and altarpieces.
Soaring more than 340 feet above Sevilla’s historic district, this dramatic bell tower is one of the city’s most iconic landmarks. It was originally built as a minaret near the end of the 12th century, as part of the immense mosque on which the Sevilla Cathedral was built. From the top of the tower, you can enjoy breathtaking views of the city below.
The Royal Alcazar
Dating back to the 14th century, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is both a majestic palace and a fairy tale-like complex of royal gardens. In the palace, you’ll see one of the world’s finest examples of Mudéjar-style architecture, which combines Moorish and Renaissance-era influences. In the gardens, you’ll stroll through a peaceful array of courtyards, fountains, pools, and paths lined with orange trees, flowers, and hedges—along with the occasional peacock!
The Plaza de España
Providing a picturesque filming location for one of the Star Wars movies, this massive, semi-circular, palace-like building is surrounded by a wide-open plaza, a spectacular fountain, and a scenic canal that is spanned by arched bridges and traversed by rowboats. Right next to the Plaza, you’ll also find Parque de María Luisa—a 100-acre park that features beautiful gardens, elegant fountains, horse-drawn carriages, and peaceful ponds that are home to a variety of birds. Here, we and our students often go on bike rides and scavenger hunts!
Barrio de Santa Cruz
Situated just a three-minute walk from Centro MundoLengua’s classrooms, this historic neighborhood is full of narrow, winding, cobblestone streets that weave through enchanting old buildings and orange tree-dotted plazas, where you’ll find charming little shops selling handicrafts, ceramics, tea, and other local goods. Also known as the Old Jewish Quarter, the neighborhood used to be the part of the city where Sevilla’s Jewish inhabitants lived. Today, it’s the perfect place to walk around, soak up the ambiance, and feel like you’ve stepped back in time!
Built atop an underground archeological site that preserves the ruins of an ancient Roman settlement, this modern landmark is the largest wooden structure in the entire world. Because of its uncanny resemblance to a bunch of giant mushrooms, the structure is also known as Las Setas de Sevilla (the Mushrooms of Sevilla). After seeing the underground ruins, you can visit the top of the structure, where you’ll enjoy breathtaking, panoramic views of the surrounding city.
Other cultural attractions
The above list only scratches the surface of Sevilla’s many attractions. Other highlights include the following:
· Plaza de Toros: one of Spain’s most famous bullfighting rings
· Archivo de Indias: a UNESCO World Heritage Site that houses some of Spain’s most important historical archives
· Torre del Oro: a 13th-century, riverside watchtower that provides Sevilla with another iconic landmark.
Exploring Spain: Cultural Activities
• Discover Spain’s rich heritage through guided tours of historic attractions, such as a royal palace that dates back to Moorish times and the world’s largest Gothic cathedral.
• Immerse yourself in Spanish culture through a variety of organized group activities, such as salsa, flamenco, and Spanish cooking classes.
Having Fun: Social Activities
- Spend time with old and new friends alike at dances, concerts, and dinners for the program’s high school students.
- Unwind with movie nights, tapas nights, and afternoon free time for hanging out with friends, going to the beach, exploring the city, or taking a siesta!
- Enjoy the outdoors together on a kayak trip down a scenic river, a bike ride through a beautiful park, and sports games with Spanish high school students.
Leveling Up Your Español: Pre-AP® Spanish Language Classes
- Have fun and learn at the same time with the benefit of small class sizes (12 to 15 students), experienced teachers, and a highly interactive, communication-centered approach to learning Spanish.
- Boost your Spanish language skills with 4 intensive classes per day lasting 45 minutes each (3 hours per day in total), Monday through Friday.
- Get ready to ace the Pre-AP® Spanish Language course and exam with the help of our unique curriculum, which is specially designed for current AP® and current Pre-AP® Spanish Language students.
Expanding Your Horizons: Weekend Excursions
- Explore other parts of southern Spain and neighboring Portugal on organized weekend trips to the historic, seaside city of Tarifa, Spain, and the charming, riverside town of Tavira, Portugal.
- Soak up the local culture, go on walking tours, and relax on the beach at both destinations!
- Enjoy worry-free, hassle-free travel: transportation, meals, adult guidance, and tours are included!
Living in a Real Home: Hassle-Free Housing
- Feel a safe and secure sense of home-away-from-home with one of our friendly, carefully-selected Spanish host families.
- Enjoy the comforts of a middle-class home with modern conveniences—laundry assistance provided!
- Boost your Spanish through real-life conversations with actual Spaniards!
Eating Like a Spaniard: Complimentary Meals
- Savor home-cooked Spanish meals—daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner included!
- Try out Spanish staples such as paella, tortilla, croquettes, and gazpacho.
- Rest assured: special dietary requirements can be accommodated.
Dates and Fees
Pre-AP® Spanish Language Program in Sevilla, Spain
Arrival: June 19th, 2022
Departure: July 2nd, 2022
Spanish classes Monday to Friday for the duration of the program (3 hours per day / 4 classes of 45 minutes).
All class materials used during the course.
Official certificate that confirms your participation in this program.
Accommodation and full board with a homestay family.
Program of social, cultural and recreational activities.
Initial orientation walk in Sevilla.
Airport reception with a representative from Centro MundoLengua and transfer to and from Sevilla airport.
Request information about this program
You may also like…
Pre-AP® is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the development and delivery of this professional development. College Board, AP®, Advanced Placement®, Advanced Placement Program®, AP® Vertical Teams, Pre-AP® and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.