Help out in the community while improving your Spanish!
June 19th, 2022 – July 2nd, 2022
Intermediate (B1) and above.
Volunteer Abroad Programs for High School Students in Sevilla, Spain
If you’re familiar with volunteering, you know just how satisfying it feels to give back to your local community and know you’ve made a positive difference. Now, imagine how rewarding that experience will be when you expand your reach to the global community through our volunteer abroad program for high school students in Sevilla, Spain! While living in the vibrant heart of Andalusia, you’ll be able to help those in need while also exploring the sun-drenched city’s ancient, cobblestone streets.
You’ll spend your mornings serving Sevillians-in-need through activities such as working with marginalized youths, working with the local immigrant population, helping elderly individuals with day-to-day tasks, helping cancer patients, or painting houses for low-income families, among others—and then you’ll be able to spend the latter part of the day going on guided tours, exploring the city on your own, and relaxing with friends. Throughout your stay, you’ll enjoy hassle-free housing with a native Spanish host family, delicious homemade Spanish meals, fun-filled social and cultural activities, and more! By attending one of our volunteer abroad programs for high school students, you will simultaneously be able to level up your Spanish skills, add a competitive edge to your college application, and create unforgettable memories with new friends from all over the world!
Expand your worldview by helping out Spanish communities-in-need and spending time with Spaniards from a variety of backgrounds!
Give your college application a competitive edge with global volunteering.
Live in Sevilla—the beautiful, historic capital city of southern Spain, with great connections to many of the country’s other top destinations.
Immerse yourself in the Spanish lifestyle by living a Spanish host families—delicious, home cooked Spanish meals included!
Stay active by biking around Sevilla, kayaking in the river, playing sports games, taking dance lessons, and other organized group activities.
Feel safe and secure with 24/7 adult support and supervision from our experienced staff and host families.
Regardless of the season, Sevilla is a fantastic destination for adventurous young travelers. The birthplace of many iconic Spanish traditions, including flamenco, bullfighting, and tapas, Sevilla is the capital of Andalusia for good reason, and it’s provides a fantastic setting for our volunteer abroad programs for high school students. With over 2,200 years of history behind it, Sevilla offers countless attractions to its many visitors, including 10 palaces and three UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Whether you’re touring the famous gothic castle, exploring the jaw-dropping place halls of the Alcázar, browsing local markets, or simply enjoying a refreshment in a plaza surrounded by fragrant orange trees, you’re bound to fall in love with the city’s southern charm. Scattered throughout Sevilla’s winding cobblestone streets, you’ll enjoy guided tours to attractions such as the following:
The Sevilla Cathedral
Dating back to the 12th century, this magnificent building is the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, the burial site of Christopher Columbus, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Situated right in the heart of Sevilla’s historic city center, it’s just a five-minute walk from Centro MundoLengua’s classrooms. Inside, you’ll find a massive nave (or central hall) that’s lined with 80 side chapels, featuring a variety of artwork, tombs, carvings, and altarpieces.
Soaring more than 340 feet above Sevilla’s historic district, this dramatic bell tower is one of the city’s most iconic landmarks. It was originally built as a minaret near the end of the 12th century, as part of the immense mosque on which the Sevilla Cathedral was built. From the top of the tower, you can enjoy breathtaking views of the city below.
The Royal Alcazar
Dating back to the 14th century, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is both a majestic palace and a fairy tale-like complex of royal gardens. In the palace, you’ll see one of the world’s finest examples of Mudéjar-style architecture, which combines Moorish and Renaissance-erainfluences. In the gardens, you’ll stroll through a peaceful array of courtyards, fountains, pools, and paths lined with orange trees, flowers, and hedges—along with the occasional peacock!
The Plaza de España
Providing a picturesque filming location for one of the Star Wars movies, this massive, semi-circular, palace-like building is surrounded by a wide-open plaza, a spectacular fountain, and a scenic canal that is spanned by arched bridges and traversed by rowboats. Right next to the Plaza, you’ll also find Parque de María Luisa—a 100-acre park that features beautiful gardens, elegant fountains, horse-drawn carriages, and peaceful ponds that are home to a variety of birds. Here, we and our students often go on bike rides and scavenger hunts!
Barrio de Santa Cruz
Situated just a three-minute walk from Centro MundoLengua’s classrooms, this historic neighborhood is full of narrow, winding, cobblestone streets that weave through enchanting old buildings and orange tree-dotted plazas, where you’ll find charming little shops selling handicrafts, ceramics, tea, and other local goods. Also known as the Old Jewish Quarter, the neighborhood used to be the part of the city where Sevilla’s Jewish inhabitants lived. Today, it’s the perfect place to walk around, soak up the ambiance, and feel like you’ve stepped back in time!
Built atop an underground archeological site that preserves the ruins of an ancient Roman settlement, this modern landmark is the largest wooden structure in the entire world. Because of its uncanny resemblance to a bunch of giant mushrooms, the structure is also known as Las Setas de Sevilla (the Mushrooms of Sevilla). After seeing the underground ruins, you can visit the top of the structure, where you’ll enjoy breathtaking, panoramic views of the surrounding city.
The above list only scratches the surface of Sevilla’s many attractions. Other highlights include the following:
· Plaza de Toros: one of Spain’s most famous bullfighting rings
· Archivo de Indias: a UNESCO World Heritage Site that houses some of Spain’s most important historical archives
· Torre del Oro: a 13th-century, riverside watchtower that provides Sevilla with another iconic landmark.
Lending a Hand: Volunteer Experiences
- Volunteer with one or more of our partner organizations, which offer a wide range of opportunities to work with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
- Choose between many different volunteering options, such as:
- painting houses, preparing and serving meals, and providing childcare to low-income families;
- assisting elderly people with physical and mental disabilities; and
- working with marginalized youth via English classes, tutoring, arts and crafts activities, and sports games.
- Let us create and organize a custom-made volunteer program for you, based on your interests, preferences, and the amount of time you want to volunteer.
Making Memories: Social and Recreational Activities
- Make the most of Sevilla’s sunny weather by biking through scenic parks, kayaking down the city’s river, and playing sports games with other students in the program!
- Spend time with your new friends during organized dances, concerts, dinners, movie nights, and tapas nights.
- Explore the city on your own or with friends during your free time! You can make new friends or travel with friends from home, as we welcome pairs, small groups, and solo students alike!
- Explore other parts of southern Spain and neighboring Portugal on organized weekend trips to the historic, seaside city of Tarifa, Spain, and the charming, seaside town of Tavira, Portugal.
Leveling Up Your Español: Optional Spanish Classes
- Hone your Spanish speaking and comprehension skills with optional add-on classes tailored specifically to your needs.
- Learn from our friendly, native Spanish-speaking teachers who are equipped with extensive teaching experience.
Living in a Real Home: Hassle-Free Housing
- Practice your Spanish from the comfort of home by living with one of our carefully selected native Spanish host families.
- Enjoy the comforts of a middle-class home with modern conveniences—laundry assistance provided!
Eating Like a Spaniard: Complimentary Meals
- Savor home-cooked Spanish meals—daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner included!
- Try out Spanish staples such as paella, tortilla, croquettes, and gazpacho.
- Have your needs met; special dietary requirements can be accommodated.
Dates and Fees
Volunteer Abroad Programs for High School Students in Sevilla, Spain
Arrival: June 19th, 2022
Depart: July 2nd, 2022
Intermediate (B1) and above
Wide range of non-profit organizations and volunteer missions to choose from.
Accommodation and full board with a homestay family.
Program of social, cultural and recreational activities.
Initial orientation walk in Sevilla.
Airport reception with a representative from Centro MundoLengua and transfer to and from Sevilla airport.
Spanish classes (optional add-on).